If Only RadioDJ Had Been Around In 2002

I've been into Internet radio and streaming for years now. It started out with me tuning into a LIVE365 Station in 1999.

In that time I've spent a lot of time using and testing various radio automation solutions.

Although my interest in Internet radio had started in 1999 it was 2002 before I had a Broadband connection.

Radio automation software offerings back in 2002 were PANTS. You didn't have a great deal of choice.

I tried Winamp with DSP plugins to try and stream but I ended up with large gaps of silence between songs so that wasn't ideal.

Winamp would casually crash when you least wanted it to. An unstable DSP Plugin was usually to blame for that.

Badly written Plugins were common back in Winamp's heyday!

A lot of the DSP and General plugins from the Winamp website either wouldn't work or they would cause Winamp to freeze.

You also had to change playlists manually and Winamp had no artist/title/album repeat control.

Then I tried SAM Broadcaster v2.7.7 and that was also frankly awful.

SAM Broadcaster would hog all the resources of my computer which would slam the CPU up to 100% on song change.

SAM crashed that often that it lost me a postion on an Oldies radio station.

As documented on this website I had no end of Headaches With SAM Broadcaster

I spent far too long fighting with SAM Broadcaster to be able to run a successful stream or even do live radio shows.

The last thing you need as a Radio DJ is software crapping out on you

Fast Forward 20 years and the software I'm now using for my music automation is more stable and reliable.

I don't suffer with crashes or large gaps between songs with RadioDJ

RadioDJ is amazing at crossfading between tracks and jingles

I can leave RadioDJ to its own devices & the only time I ever restart the software is for Windows Updates.


radio dj free radio automation music software

Reasons to Use RadioDJ:

  1. Once installed it's stable and works for days/weeks without needing to keep an eye on it
  2. Great Music library support add as many categories & subcategories you require
  3. RadioDJ is 100% FREE and has ZERO restrictions on what YOU use it for
  4. The Database is really stable. Plus RadioDJ comes with a Database Backup Tool
  5. Easy to manage Playlists, Rotations & Events for all your automation needs
  6. Great Technical Support should something go wrong with your installation via the Forums
  7. Customisable Interface with the Color Editor

How To Install RadioDJ


One user got 4 years uptime from RadioDJ v1.8.2

The stand alone encoding software I use to stream doesn't appear to buffer.

I have very few headaches trying to stream these days.

It makes me HAPPY (And less stressed) when software works as advertised

I could have been running a successful Internet radio station by now had RadioDJ been around in 2002.

Instead I spent YEARS fighting with inferior software and their annoying quirks.