MySQL 8 Problems (RadioDJ)

Over the past year or so I've seen LOTS of people having issues with MySQL 8 and RadioDJ.

mysql

Which has now lead Marius to post about using RadioDJ with MySQL 8

Marius carried out out some tests and its quite clear that MySQL 8 takes longer to process queries compared to MariaDB.

Query Duration MySQL8: 1.7712764 seconds

Query Duration MariaDB: 0.0081946 seconds

As you can see the difference is huge on MySQL8 it takes almost 2 seconds just to run a single query.

I found MySQL to be bloated when it came to installing it to test it

There were far too many options to setup MySQL8

Whereas MariaDB is simpler to install and not so bloated

I've used MariaDB since June 2014 and it performs 100% better than Oracle MySQL ever did.

I've NOT had to rebuild my RadioDJ database since 2014. I take daily backups so I don't lose my hard work.

Its rare for MariaDB databases to crash (IF EVER) I've not had to run a repair in a while.

If you are using MySQL8 and you're having issues with RadioDJ,

Backup your database and then Uninstall MySQL 8 from your computer.

Then download and install MariaDB

How to Install MariaDB

Once you've done that and confirmed MySQL is running as a service (mysqld.exe) then you need to restore the database backup you took with the database setup tool in RadioDJ.

You should notice a huge difference in playlist/song/jingle loading times etc...

It will benefit you and your radio station in the long run & you can be safe in the knowledge that things will run a lot smoother with MariaDB.