The Best Little Record Shop - Record Village (Scunthorpe)

When I started out as a DJ in 1987 I had a choice of several places in my home town to buy records from.

Our Price, Woolworths, WH Smith, Boots

My favourite record shop was Record Village a small independent record shop that was just amazing!

Record Village opened around 1976 and had 2 shops in Scunthorpe the main one being 133 High Street and the other in Ashby.

My brothers bought all their Punk Singles and Albums there in the 70s and early 80s.

I would spend hours in the shop as a teenager trying to find music that I knew and wanted to play as a DJ.

I would spent around £15-20 a week on records sometimes more.

You could also ask if there were any Promos that they could give you and they usually obliged.

Nothing was too much trouble if they didn't have it in they would order you it and not charge you any extra for doing so.

I would also dive into what was called the "Bargain Bin" usually singles that hadn't charted or had dropped out of the charts,

Sometimes there was some great music in the bargain bin which meant I sometimes got more for my money.

By 1990 I had amassed a great record collection for my DJ work, I'd made a case for my 7" singles in woodwork at school.

In December 1990 just before Christmas some lowlife broke into my house and stole all my records

They didn't touch my brothers Punk collection just my DJ gear

Whoever it was knew what they were after it cost me a lot of money in lost bookings and Christmas discos.

The records were sold to a market stall Ranbow records.

Rainbow Records it would seem was ran by a Crook who refused to give me my cases back which were at the back of his stall.

It still makes me angry thinking about it.

I had to start again from scratch and Record Village made even more money out of me as I tried to replace what I could.

In the 90s Record Village moved from Scunthorpe High street to a new shop just off the High street on Cole street.

It was split into 2 floors downstairs was where you could buy all the latest chart releases and upstairs was where all the Vinyl and CD's were, the staircase that lead you up there was so narrow you couldn't fit more than one person at time up/down them

A few years later they relocated again into the old post office on Cole Street which was just opposite the other shop.

Record Village eventually closed down sometime around 2007 and went online only, the website has long since closed.

Which was a shame because now Scunthorpe has no little independent record shops, The town even lost their HMV store

The owner has retired you can't blame him he spent around 30 years supplying music to the people of Scunthorpe.

Thank You Dave Greaves & Staff for such excellent service and bargains over the years.

Record Village (Scunthorpe) The best little record shop that ever was??

I'd like to think so, I've been in other record shops and none of them had the same vibe/atmosphere/service as Record Village